Sunday, September 21, 2008

One Man's Meat...

“No man really knows about other human beings. The best he can do is to suppose that they are like himself.” - John Steinbeck (American Novelist)

This is so true in that I form opinions of others by virtue of my own self-perception, which is comprised of my perceptions of life, my individual moral and social codes and my overall cultural exposure. When I share my thoughts of someone else’s behavior whether it be a positive or a negative evaluation aren’t I merely sharing my opinion based on expectations derived from the above? What I know of someone else is so purely subjective. It is by this subjective process that I am tempted to label another’s behavior as good or bad, sane or crazy, brash or demur, overbearing or submissive, giving or self-centered and the list goes on.

When I deem someone else’s behavior as positive, it stands to reason that I see them as being in alignment with my own sense of self and my awareness of life. And, typically that is comfortable for me; they behave in a manner much like myself. But, when I deem someone else’s behavior as negative, their conduct is not in alignment with my perceptions and will most likely cause me to feel uneasy or afraid.

Now I am not saying that I must strive to make myself feel comfortable in all situations and with all types of human behavior. It is okay to know my limits of tolerance and set boundaries that will promote my own sense of well-being as it relates to my ability to remain functional. My point here is that for me learning not to label or judge is one of the toughest exercises brought to me. It takes me, myself and I out of the equation and allows all things and people to be as they are and to let others arrive at their own conclusion. And as the title suggests, I know all too well, that one man’s meat can be another man’s poison.

Say, did I ever tell you I don't like Caviar?

1 comment:

theknittels said...

Howdy Ho! Fancy seeing you here!